You don’t often read winter and salad together, but I’ll tell you this is the secret to staying happy and nourished all winter long. Raw vegetables are rich in enzymes and vitamins that are easy to absorb and make digestion a breeze.
Sticking to seasonal vegetables for your winter salads is challenging, but not impossible. Both beets and kale are hearty winter vegetables that retain their tastiness and nutritional worth even through the harsh winter months. Pair with that some healthy fats from avocado and vitamin C from fresh lemons and you’ve got yourself a salad fit for a queen in the middle of winter!
Here’s the recipe for one of my favorite winter salad recipes.
Simple Kale and Beet Winter Salad
- Large Pot
- Steam Basket
- 1-2 beets steamed OR use BPA FREE canned beets in water
- 1 bunch kale chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil or a handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds optional
- If using raw beets, place a large pot with an inch of water on the stove over high heat.
- Place a steam basket inside.
- Chop the beets into quarters and place in the steam basket.
- Cover and steam the beets for about 10 to 12 minutes until they can be easily pricked with a fork.
- Remove from heat and let cool and slice into thin strips. Set to the side.
- Cook quinoa according to the instructions on the package. Set to the side.
- Add the kale, basil, lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt and black pepper to a large bowl.
- Use clean hands to massage the kale until all the ingredients are well mixed and the kale is wilted.
- Top with beets, avocado, 1/4 cup of the quinoa and pumpkin seeds (optional).
Jamie Nicole is the Founder and CEO of The Natural Healing Coach, LLC. Jamie has established herself as a leading expert in the health & wellness industry as a certified holistic health & autoimmune strategist, dance fitness instructor, and health & wellness motivational speaker.
Jamie works with Type A, busy professionals and purpose-driven leaders (from the corporate executive to the stay-at-home mom juggling kids and all the tasks), who are sick and tired of being sick and tired. They have either been to multiple doctors with no answers, or have been diagnosed with an autoimmune or chronic condition and are still struggling to find a balance with it. They are focused and motivated to find the answer so they can feel better and because they have #goals and they don’t want to give them up and be defeated by their disease.
To book a Discovery Session with Jamie Nicole, go to www.bookmydiscoverysession.com.